Friday, August 21, 2009

Boo Boos And Monsters

I babysit for a sweet little three year old girl. Today she was playing with a wooden toy, and she asked me if I was afraid of it. I told her no. Then she promptly hit me on the head with it. This is quite out of character for her. I told her that she had given me a boo boo, and asked her to apologize. She said she could not apologize because she was afraid of monsters, then she threw a blanket over her head. I guess that’s as good an excuse as any. Talk about misplaced fears! There are no monsters for her to be afraid of, but I should have been fearful of her with that toy in her hand. People are afraid of what they should not be, and not afraid of what they should be. This may be partly because fear is largely based on emotion, not logic. In the book of Genesis, Adam and Eve were afraid because they were naked, when they really should have been afraid of the devil. King Saul was afraid of David when there was no reason. All through the Bible, when God manifests himself to people or sends an angel, He tells them not to be afraid. Here’s something the Bible tells us not to be afraid of. Matthew 10:28 “Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul.” That’s probably the hardest thing for us to do. At least harder than facing a three year old with a wooden toy shaped like a hammer.

1 comment:

Beverly said...

Boy, that's a strange one. It is Thursday, isn't it. I've lost track of time this week. I hope the monsters will have disappeared by Monday.

The Big Cat

 Not to be outdone by that upstart The Big Cow and his friends, the Big Cat bought a new Easter bonnet! It is purrrfectly lovely! And while ...