Sunday, August 9, 2009

Thoughts On Purple







Here are some pictures I just took of purple flowers around town. There’s not much left because it’s almost the end of summer. I know, one is lavender. But lavender is just a kinder, gentler purple. Artists don’t consider purple a primary color, but God put it in the rainbow, so that’s primary enough for me. “The Color Purple” was a famous book, movie, and play. There used to be a rock group called Deep Purple. And such wild purple songs. Back in prehistoric times when I was a teenager, there was a very famous novelty song. Here’s the name of it. Purple People Eater. Really, I’m not kidding. According to the song, the Purple People Eater had one eye, one horn, and could fly. In the 1960’s, Jimi Hendrix did Purple Haze. And more currently, the rock star known as Prince’s Purple Rain. Purple has always been known as the color of royalty. In Bible times, only the rich, kings and priests wore it. Purple yarn and fine linen was among the offerings that God told Moses He wanted. Lydia was a woman who loved and worshipped God. So God opened her heart to Paul’s message and she asked him to stay at her house. Oh yes, she was also a dealer in purple. And now I get to the best part of all. 1 Peter 2:9 tells us that we are a chosen people, a royal priesthood…..belonging to God. We are just as entitled to wear purple as the priests and kings of Bible times. So break out your purple clothes for the fall and winter, because we have a wonderful inheritance coming our way!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

What a fun post ... but now I have "One eyed one horned flying purple people eater" going 'round in the brain. I can't remember any more of the lyrics.

And ... is it a "purple" people eater, or a "purple people" eater?

A Full House

 While waiting in line at the drug store drive-thru, I spotted this little House Sparrow. I usually think of them as common and drab. But my...