Tuesday, August 25, 2009

What's In A Name?











Do you remember my blog entry from a couple days ago? I posted pictures of colors in the sky like a rainbow, only in a spot. And I asked what it was and if anyone had seen one. Well, I got my answer. I found these pictures on the web, and they are the same thing. It’s called a sun dog. My friend Danny Kiser knew the name. It’s a colored patch of light at the same distance above the horizon as the sun. They are usually seen when the sun is low, and might even be seen one or two times a week. But what’s up with that name? What an awful name for such a beautiful thing! Why would anyone call it that when there are so many more pretty names? Names are a big deal. Plants and animals all have Latin names. Who ever thought of using a dead language to describe species? What kind of sense does that make? Maybe scientists like it because only they can understand it, so it makes them look smarter. God says that He has our names engraved on the palms of His hands. In the book of Genesis, God brought all the creatures to man and gave him the privilege of naming them. God also changed people’s names according to their character. God told Jacob that his new name would be Israel, because he overcame so many struggles. Jesus gave people nicknames. Simon’s new name was Peter. James and John were Sons Of Thunder. I wonder if they all got a chuckle out of that. I like to think of myself and my friends and the ways we try to do God’s work, and wonder what nickname Jesus would give us. The Bible says that a good name is better and more desirable than riches or fine perfume. Revelation 3:12 tells us that we have a citizenship in God’s future kingdom “He who overcomes, I will write on him the name of my God and the name of the city of my God.” The Bible also tells us this “there is no other name under Heaven given to man by which we may be saved.” Yes, names are a very big deal, and the name of Jesus is the biggest deal of all.

No comments:

The Big Cow - Easter 2024

 The Big Cow is all dressed up and ready for Easter. And he has brought along some of his friends as well!