Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Ice Halo











I am so excited about what we saw yesterday! To refresh your memory, I’m showing this picture I took and posted a couple months ago. See that small spot of rainbow colors? It’s called a sun dog, and I see them lots. They are the colors of the rainbow, but just in a little spot. They are usually seen when the sun is very low in the sky. Well, sometimes an arc can spin off of one of these, and it’s called an ice halo. It is not a rainbow. I think most people never see them. By the time I got my camera, it was fading fast, but here you see the arc. There are a whole range of arcs, including a complete circle. They appear in the sky more often than rainbows, but usually go unnoticed because they don’t have all the bright colors of a rainbow. A rainbow is made of tiny water drops, an ice halo is made of tiny ice crystals, called diamond dust. So named because of the way it sparkles in the sunlight; rather like a mist, but of ice instead of water. I’m not making this up! You can Google it and see more dramatic pictures than mine. We live in a world of wonders. And usually see one when we least expect it. A surprise gift from God.
God moves in mysterious ways, his wonders to perform.
He plants His footsteps in the sea and rides upon the storm.
You fearful saints, fresh courage take; the clouds you so much dread
Are big with mercy and shall break In blessings on your head

1 comment:

MadSnapper said...

I have not only never seen one, but never heard of one. thanks for the info and the pictures. I like the diamond dust part, and wish I could have seen it myself.

Virginia Bluebells

 The Virginia Bluebells are blooming now. They are so pretty and delicate. Here are some a few blocks away. Here are some Bluebell tattoos I...