Tuesday, December 29, 2009

The Cloud That Fell To Earth
















"The fog comes on little cat feet.
It sits looking over harbor and city
on silent haunches
and then moves on."
Carl Sandburg 1916 "Fog"


On Saturday, we went to Roanoke for the day. The trip was filled with wonderous things, which I will have several future posts about. The first exciting thing to happen was truly wonderous, but in a rather frightening way. See the first picture? See the white stuff under the mountains, and us driving on the interstate down below? I looked up and thought it was snow. WRONG! It was a cloud that had settled down at the base of the mountain. I've never seen it in a more dramatic way. My camera was with me, so I started to snap. This actually helped with my nerves. I had thought it was way in the distance and of no consequence. WRONG again! We drove right through it. These pictures detail our journey into and out of it. Who'd have thought there could be fog with over a foot of snow on the ground? Doesn't fog need some warmth? Apparently not. I just looked up fog on Wikipedia and got an interesting definition: Fog is a cloud that is in contact with the ground. Fog and mist are different only by their density. Since then, we've had quite a bit of fog around here, but never again have I seen a fallen cloud and driven through it.



"I have swept away your offenses like a cloud, your sins like morning mist. Return to me, for I have redeemed you." Isaiah 44:22

3 comments:

SquirrelQueen said...

Great photos of the cloud from a distance and up close and personal. It looks really thick in the middle shot.

We have had lots of clouds falling down over the last week but they have met with very cold weather. Our snow is about an hour away.

Can't wait to hear more about your adventures.

Judy

storyteller said...

I came by way of Squirrel Queen's today. I don't encounter many women named Virginia and even fewer who go by "Ginny" so I followed my impulse to click on over. You may surmise correctly that my name is Virginia and I've been known by friends and family as Ginny all my life. Your experience in these wintry 'blind' conditions reminds me of a couple of different times in my life where I experienced similar weather ... but it would take too long to try to explain here. I did think I might introduce myself and perhaps you'll find time to visit one of my blogs sometime. I plan to return to read more as time permits. Hope you've had a memorable holiday season and that the new year brings much joy to you and yours.
Hugs and blessings,

MadSnapper said...

so now we have two ginny's, is that a good thing? ha ha. My son Daniel was a Ginny, but he turned out to be a Daniel. i picked Ginny, not Virgina, and in those days there were no ultra sounds, so the surprise was a Daniel. I have driven through clouds before when I was a child and had forgotten about them. thanks for reminding me

The Big Cow - Easter 2024

 The Big Cow is all dressed up and ready for Easter. And he has brought along some of his friends as well!