Tuesday, December 8, 2009

The Power Of Innocence







This is our granddaughter, Anne Marie, at her very first stage performance last night. She goes to school at First Baptist Church, and the classes were putting on their Christmas program. People with cameras and videos had packed this large and ornate church right up to the balcony. And these little kids are only three and four. A lot of grown ups would be terrified, so I was interested to see what the little ones would do. What a surprise! They had several songs to sing, along with arm motions of rocking baby Jesus, being an angel, etc. Not a single one seemed afraid or nervous. In fact, a few of them were even goofing around, which got laughs from the audience. I couldn't figure out why they were not intimidated and terrified. And then it hit me. They were too young to know any better! We are born with almost no fears, and only learn them as we age. I thought of a bible verse that I'd puzzled over. "For God hath not given us the spirit of fear, but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind." 2 Timothy 1:7. Even though I once taught a class on fear, I've always wondered how this could be, when so many people are so afraid of so many things. And here was the answer right in front of me, in the shining faces and bright eyes of a stage full of little children. "I praise you, Father, Lord of Heaven and earth, because you have hidden these things from the wise and learned, and revealed them to little children." Matthew 11:25


2 comments:

MadSnapper said...

these are true Christmas Photos, how blessed you are to have a wonderful little grand daughter and to see all these precious children perform. I think you are right about the verse

SquirrelQueen said...

Your granddaughter is a little doll. It must have been wonderful to see the whole group perform. It is interesting that all our fears are learned, too bad that a child has to learn such an emotion.

I'm fine, nothing serious. I've had an ear infection, the first in years, and it was combined with a little bit of a head cold. I was just miserable for a few days and wasn't on the computer all that much. I do appreciate your concern and offers of prayer.
Judy

A Good Neighbor

 Our next-door neighbor's house is very close to ours. Our house is on the left and theirs is on the right. Our back doors face each oth...