Monday, February 22, 2010

A Cheezy Story




These pictures were taken by our kids when shopping in China, so today I thought we'd all go along. Of course the second picture is a 7-11, looking amazingly like the stores here. The first picture is our son shopping in Wal-Mart. In the front of the store are big crates of live turtles. Not for pets, but to buy, cook, and eat. Of course all the merchandise is written only in Chinese, so with a lot of things, you have no idea what you're buying. On this night, daughter-in-law was wanting some good American snack food in their hotel room. They spot bags of what look like Cheetos, her favorite! They grab two bags, an orange one and a blue one, and head back to the hotel. Opening the first bag, they tasted awful! The next bag were even worse. In fact, they were about the most horrible tasting snack food they'd ever had. Turning the bags over and looking very closely, they saw that one bag had a picture of a pork chop on it, and the other had a turkey. Yes, pork chop and turkey flavored Cheetos. There was no snack food in Bible times, and they had to walk everywhere, so I imagine them as being pretty healthy. No McDonalds, potato chips, cookies or candy. No food coloring, additives, or flavorings. Plus there were very strict food rules. They did have dried fruits and pastries, so that would have been desert, with some honey. Honey was their sugar, and they put in in all kinds of things, even wine. Here's something that King David had to say about honey.


"The ordinances of the Lord are sure and altogether righteous. They are more precious than gold, than much pure gold; they are sweeter than honey, than honey from the comb. By them your servant is warned; in keeping them there is a great reward." Psalm 19:9,11




4 comments:

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Hi Ginny, I just read something today about how good honey and cinnamon are for us... I'll look and see if I can find that email--and I'll send it to you.

My hubby spent some time in China teaching--and he says that you don't ASK what you are eating... ha

Hugs,
Betsy

SquirrelQueen said...

I am just imagining what it would be like to bite into what you thought was a nice cheesy cheeto and get pork chop flavor. Ewww!

The daisies on my blog today are from last summer, they were in a pot on my patio. I'm hoping to find more like them for this summer.

MadSnapper said...

NOT a snack I would want for sure. great story. the 7 11 looks very much like ours do. I would think my what iffer would outdo it's self in China, of course the What Iffer would not allow me to go to China so we will never know.

Stephanie V said...

It's very odd to go into a Wal-Mart in another country. We went into one in Puerto Vallarta and it was odd to see the same sorts of things but so completely different. And, of course, all info in Spanish. Chinese would be even more interesting.
Pork chop flavored Cheetos? Nuh-uh. But turkey actually sounds worse to me.

The Big Cat

 Not to be outdone by that upstart The Big Cow and his friends, the Big Cat bought a new Easter bonnet! It is purrrfectly lovely! And while ...