Friday, March 12, 2010

Bread Alone













It is said that man does not live by bread alone, but in fact he did just that. The Israelites lived on only bread in the desert. Of course the bread was made for them by God. A special order. William Cobbett said "Without bread, all life is misery", and I would agree. Here are two of my favorite places to get bread when we go to the nearby city of Charlottesville. Albermarle Bakery is the first. Notice that their door handle is a loaf of bread. This is their window display for March. I thought it was quite lovely. And of course the last two pictures are Panera Bread, where not only can you get great breads, but soup to go with them. A usual trip to the grocery store will find me buying bread, bagels, english muffins, and two kinds of buns. I could live on a different kind of bread for every meal, and be pretty happy. Bread alone; yum!

"He humbled you, causing you to hunger and then feeding you with manna, which neither you nor your fathers had known, to teach you that man does not live on bread alone but on every word that comes from the mouth of the Lord." Deut. 8:3

6 comments:

Betsy Banks Adams said...

George and I got each other a Breadmaker for Christmas ---and we ordered all kinds of wonderful breads to make... OH MY GOODNESS..... I could live on home-made bread forever... It's fabulous!!!!!

BUT---when I hear the saying "Man Cannot Live by Bread Alone..."--------------I always add another part to that sentence. My addition is: "...But he must have Peanut Butter"...... ha ha ha

Hugs,
Betsy

SquirrelQueen said...

The saying is "Man cannot live by bread alone". But what about Woman? I love fresh bread. The display in the store window looks delicious.

MadSnapper said...

Ok, so we were separated at birth. I LOVE BREAD, all kinds of bread and could very well live on it. I tried to figure out how the bread was standing on the door, dumb me, then i read the story. wish that place was close to me.

George said...

As Betsy mentioned, we are certainly enjoying our new breadmaker. We may not live on bread alone, but we are certainly enjoying more bread.

Beverly said...

I love bread...I love Panera.

Glenda said...

I'm a bread lover, too, and like you, I could fair just fine on breads - and a little butter!

I'm glad our Heavenly Father feeds us well, and we never have to worry about Him running out of bread!

The Big Cow - Easter 2024

 The Big Cow is all dressed up and ready for Easter. And he has brought along some of his friends as well!