Sunday, May 6, 2012

Memories Of Ellen


Phil's aunt Ellen passed away at the age of 88, and today we went to the memorial service. Here you see Phil and I, Phil with his three brothers, and with his favorite uncle and aunt.  Phil went to a one room schoolhouse, and his aunt Ellen was his first grade teacher. She went to college then lived abroad for many years as a peace builder in post-war relief. She was very talented and painted this oriental picture. She liked to talk using her hands, and one day she got to telling a very exciting story as she was holding a pie in each hand. Gesturing to make a point, both pies hit the floor.  The family dubbed this a tragedy! But the most touching story was when she was very sick in I.C.U. and was not allowed any food or water for days in case she might need surgery. Her only discomfort was extreme thirst, for days. And when at last they brought her a tiny three ounce glass of orange juice, she turned to her son and asked if he wanted some. But she won't be thirsty any more now.


“Jesus said, "I am the Bread of Life. The person who aligns with me hungers no more and thirsts no more, ever. I have told you this explicitly because even though you have seen me in action, you don't really believe me. Every person the Father gives me eventually comes running to me. And once that person is with me, I hold on and don't let go. I came down from heaven not to follow my own whim but to accomplish the will of the One who sent me.”
John 6

I will be taking a computer break today and not visiting...see you Tuesday!

32 comments:

pam said...

What a beautiful tribute to a life well lived!

From the Kitchen said...

Thanks for sharing Aunt Ellen with us. She sounds like a wonderful person. My condolences to the family.

Best,
Bonnie

SquirrelQueen said...

So sorry to hear about Aunt Ellen's passing. She sounds like a very remarkable and caring woman. Your post is a great tribute to her memory.

Reanaclaire said...

Aunt Ellen is in better hands now.. God bless her soul...

Remington said...

I am sorry to hear of your loss....this is a beautiful post....take care, my friends....

DawnTreader said...

Nice memorial post, thanks for sharing.

Tanna said...

I am so sorry for your and your family's loss, Ginny. Aunt Ellen sounds like she was a very, very fine lady. blessings ~ tanna

Lisa @ Two Bears Farm said...

Aunt Ellen sounds amazing! Sorry for your loss.

Anonymous said...

such a lovely tribute to a wonderful lady, its always hard to say goodby,

Ann, Chen Jie Xue ι™ˆζ΄ι›ͺ said...

I like the thin strips of wood on the ceiling.

Anonymous said...

R.I.P. Ellen....sending you hugs Ginny .....prayers for your family as they walk through this season of their lives...Strength let it be found in Christ ....

MadSnapper said...

i love all the family photos, tells a lot about her, the orange juice offer says it all. a beautiful tribute to a wonderful woman in Phils life. sorry for your loss of this loved one.

Karin said...

My heartfelt sympathy to you all as you grieve your loss - although we know you grieve not without the hope of an eternal reunion! It is good to have family, take photos and reminisce, remembering the special times. Blessings and hugs!

Bobbie said...

These are wonderful memories of a beautiful woman! Love the pictures.

Stephanie V said...

Such lovely memories to have. The juice story sounds as though it was the essence of her character.

Ruth Hiebert said...

She sounds like a fascinating lady.

Cheryl @ TFD said...

I'm sorry for your loss. Aunt Ellen sounds like a lovely lady and a talented one, too! Take care.
(((hugs)))

Brenda Kay Ledford said...

I'm so sorry about Phil's Aunt Ellen passsing away. She sounds like a really wonderful woman. My condolences to the family.

Tracy said...

Awww Ginny,
How sweet~ Your tribute to Aunt Ellen was so special. SHe was a talented painter; love the mural! Enjoy your break!

Ann said...

I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. Ellen sounds like she had a very loving and generous soul. May she rest in peace

photowannabe said...

I am truly sorry for your loss. Its so good to know she is now in heaven where she won't hunger and thirst anymore.
Lovely tribute, Ginny.

Neal said...

That's a nice story. Phil and his brothers sure to resemble each other.

Deborah said...

I'm sorry...nice story though.
xxoo
Deborah

Anonymous said...

Hi Ginny, My condolences to your husband, you, and your family and friends who knew Ellen. Yes, she is with the Lord so she is never unhappy, thirsty, hungry or in pain. Blessings to you all. Have a good day tomorrow!

Linda said...

My condolences to you and your family, Ginny. As always, wonderful post...and I love your header.

Marie said...

Sounds like Ellen was a beautiful and talented woman. Beautiful tribute to her.

momto8 said...

she sounds like a very holy soul...a great example.

Annie Jeffries said...

Thank you, Ginny, for sharing Ellen's life with us. What a gifted and modest woman she was. She lived her life with thoughts of others first and will be remembered for a life well lived. We can't ask for a better legacy.

God bless you all,
Annie

Nature Rambles said...

May she rest in eternal peace. What a lovely person she must have been!!

Becky Jane said...

Such a touching post. Thank you for sharing a bit of her life with us. Sharing her o.j. is something the Savior would have done too...she must have been an extra special woman.

Rose said...

I am sorry to hear of her passing; she sounds like a wonderful person to have known.

Lynn said...

A life well lived and her beauty will continue to shine in all that knew her, especially her family. My condolences to all the family on her passing.

The Big Cow - Easter 2024

 The Big Cow is all dressed up and ready for Easter. And he has brought along some of his friends as well!