Monday, January 30, 2017

Saint Brendan

Saint Brendan was ordained as a priest at 26, and he founded quite a few monasteries. He was called "Brendan The Navigator" because, as the story goes, he traveled the high seas with a group of other monks. They were evangelizing and searching for the Garden Of Eden.

The legend says he stopped at a small island to light a fire and Celebrate Easter Mass. The island turned out to be a giant fish! These old paintings of the event really amused me!



This is the inside of the church named after him. All my pictures are from the web, of course.

“Then God assigned a huge fish to swallow Jonah. Jonah was in the fish’s belly three days and nights.
Jonah 1

13 comments:

Linda said...

How interesting! You have such good posts!

Reanaclaire said...

Yes, this post reminded me of Jonah and the whale... meaningful post here!

Nancy Chan said...

Very nice paintings and interesting story!

MadSnapper said...

I have not heard of this saint. I like the island fish.. looks like a giant grouper.. I love the waves on your back ground.

Tamago said...

I love those paintings! They look both amusing and frightening :-)

Lisa @ Two Bears Farm said...

That's really neat. I enjoy learning about the different saints, although I sometimes have a hard time keeping their stories straight.

Lady Jane said...

Never heard this one Ginny. Made me think of Jonah and the whale also. Interesting paintings. Hugs, LJ

Ann Thompson said...

Love the paintings and the story. That's a beautiful church too

Kim@stuffcould.... said...

Oh I love seeing pics of those beautiful churches. I didnt know this priest. I would guess looking for the garden of Eden had many participants?

Carla from The River said...

I like the 3rd picture.
I enjoyed your post today, I like learning fun and interesting things like this.

Rose said...

Another place I would like to see in person.

Cheryl @ TFD said...

That is so interesting! And such a beautiful church.

Marie said...

really interesting post. the pics and entire blog is great!

The Big Cow - Easter 2024

 The Big Cow is all dressed up and ready for Easter. And he has brought along some of his friends as well!